The past October, after noticing the lack of knowledge about Latin America in the UK (where people even don’t consider it part of the western culture), a group of Latin-American students and alumni from the University of the Arts London decided to found the ‘Latinos Creative Society.’ A creative collective that attempts to reframe what does it means to be a contemporary Latino, through different activities that promote the cultural exchange:Donations of books to Central Saint Martins Library (we’ve got a donation of 150 books from the Latin American House, and we are waiting for the librarian approval)
- Talks we’ve already contacted four possible speakers we want to invite to the LVMH Lecture Theatre from Central Saint Martins between April and June
- Food tours (we’ve got couple of meetings with an entrepreneurship
- Panel Discussion: We are coordinating a panel discussion with 6 UAL students at the Latin American House for February (we achieved to get the space for free). This activity will help us to define our manifesto.
- Exhibition (We already got a quotation from the Crypt Gallery - London, we are still waiting for answers from the Lubomirov / Angus - Huges Gallery - London, we are confirming dates at Fundación Cultural de Providencia – Santiago, Chile)
II. ACTIVITY PROPOSED FOR FIVE YEARS:
Latinos Creative Society Manifesto Declaration.
- Promote Latin American Culture through the manifesto declaration of the Latinos Creative Society.
- Reframe and question the diversities of identities that coexist in Latin America.
- Foster the cultural exchange.
2. GOLDEN CIRCLE:
WHAT? Latinos Creative Society Manifesto Declaration.
HOW? Through a performance and presentation of artworks from the creative collective.WHY? To give voice to a community that people in London do not know much about.
3. TENTATIVE MANIFESTO (First draft that will improve after panel discussion at the Latin American House, February 2018)
We’re politically (IN) correct,
we use our heart more than our head,
we innovate through a creative destruction,
like no one else…
You’re not going to forget us:
Materials and equipment: Projector, Paper/cardboards, Screws or hanging system, Pens/markers
Latinos Creative Society:
President: Anabella Bergero http://www.anabella-bergero.com/
Treasurer: María Teresa Chadwick www.terechad.com
César Baracca, Argentian Artist that is cooperating as ‘godfather’ of the society’ http://www.cesarbaracca.com/